Our Board of Directors
Chairman (BCom, LLB)
John is a member of the Institute of Directors and a director of a number of private companies in UK, Australia and NZ. In addition to chairing NZCID John is a member of the National Infrastructure Advisory Board which provides independent advice to the Minister for Infrastructure.
Current Board Governance roles include:
- NZ Government’s National Infrastructure Advisory Board – founding Member
- NZ Council for Infrastructure Development – Chairman
- Eastland Group Limited – Director
- FJ Hawkes & Co Limited – Managing Director
- The Lines Company Limited – Director
- Activate Tairāwhiti – Chairman
- Cavalier Corporation Limited – Director
- Taku Honey Limited – Director
- Ngapuhi Asset Management Limited – Director
- ABODO Limited – Chairman of Advisory Board
- My Angel Investment Limited – Director
Former Board Governance roles include:
- Stevenson Group Limited – Chairman and Managing Director
- Arbuthnot Latham Bank PLC (London) – Director
- TEPU Limited – Chairman
- PIE Funds Limited – Director
Director (MBA, BCom)
Hamish is an experienced professional director and senior finance executive, currently holding governance positions with:
- Smart Environmental Limited – Director, Chair of Audit and Risk Committee
- East Health Services Limited – Chairman
- Waikato Regional Council – Independent Chair, Audit & Risk Committee
- Restaurant Brands Limited – Director, Chair of Audit and Risk Committee
- AsureQuality Limited – Director, Chair of Audit Committee
- Counties Power Limited – Director
- The Kennedy’s Limited – Chairman
- Botany Health Hub Limited – Director
- Dairy Technical Services Limited – Director
Hamish has also served on boards in the food, beverage and hospitality sectors as well as holding CFO positions in DB Breweries, Tip Top Ice Cream, and Heinz-Wattie. Hamish is a Chartered Accountant, a member of the Institute of Directors, a member of the NZ Association of Economists, and holds an MBA from Auckland University
Grahame is the Managing Director and single Shareholder of Smart Environmental. He has 25 years industry experience. He is active in all aspects of the waste and recycling industry and sits on numerous committees and groups representing the industry. Grahame is a regular contributor to LTCCP, Annual Plans, WMMP’s and Bylaws. He is very knowledgeable about the Waste and Recycling Industry throughout New Zealand. Through the success of the company Grahame has built up many relationships and contacts. As an innovator and entrepreneur Grahame is very focused on waste minimisation and resource recovery.
Current Governance roles include:
- Managing Director and shareholder – Smart Environmental Limited
- Managing Director – Smart Contracting Group Limited
- Member – Thames Coromandel Economic Development Committee
- Board Member – WasteMINZ
Former roles include:
- Founder – Streetsmart Limited
- Director – Touch New Zealand
- Chairman – Pare Hauraki Asset Holdings Limited
- Chairman – Preserve New Chum Inc
- Chairman – Hauraki Fishing Group
- Director – Taimoana Marine Farms
Brent is an executive Director of Maui Capital and a member of the Investment Committees of the Maui Capital Indigo Fund and the Maui Capital Aqua Fund.
Prior to establishing Maui in 2008, he was a Director of Private Equity at Goldman Sachs JBWere (NZ) and managed the Hauraki Funds. Before that, Brent started his career as a corporate finance and M&A lawyer.
Mark is responsible for the assessment of opportunities, valuations, executing transactions and supporting the management teams of investee companies.
Prior to joining Maui in 2012, Mark worked in various corporate and corporate finance roles in New Zealand and the UK, including most recently at BDO Auckland.
Todd is an independent Director on the Smart Board who specialises in helping organisations optimise their performance in times of change.
His philosophy is that business should focus on delivering effortless experiences to customers. He has previously held sales and marketing leadership roles at Vodafone and NZ Post, was CEO of Lotto NZ and ran an integrated digital design and advertising group.