We partner with Councils and communities of all sizes across New Zealand and have been offering a variety of services to Local Government for over twenty-five years.
We work hard for our client Councils to provide cost-effective and tailored service delivery solutions that match the individuality and diversity of our country’s numerous districts and jurisdictions.
At last count we operate 28 Refuse Transfer Stations, 5 Material Recovery Facilities and deliver kerbside collections or parks maintenance services to at least 18 Territorial Authorities.
Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
The company currently operates large MRF’s in East Waikato (Kopu), Rotorua and Tasman. We have also built small local MRFs to process the Manawatu & Buller recyclables we collect.
Unlike our major competition, we do not own landfills or have waste tonne swap deals in place, which means we truly focus on reducing what residual waste ends up going to the landfill.
We undertake kerbside refuse and recycling collections for Council’s of all different sizes, geography and requirements. We have a kerbside solution for any contract and for any environment. From glass recycling collections for Tauranga City to recycling and refuse collections in Auckland, from successfully managing the huge peak summer collections on the Coromandel to delivering services in Eastern Waikato, which has some of the most variable and difficult collection conditions in New Zealand, Smart can do it all!
Parks and Reserves
We undertake parks and reserves work for clients throughout New Zealand including central and local government authorities, schools, commercial companies and sportsfields.
Our love of New Zealand’s unique environment has left its mark on the areas our parks and reserves people take care of every day.
Refuse Transfer Stations and Resource Recovery Centres
Smart operates some 28 Refuse Transfer Stations with many on a journey to be converted to Resource Recovery Centres (RRC’s) in line with our company’s overall resource recovery focus.
We are working hard with several councils to adjust site layouts, incorporate the ability to segregate resources on drop off and install more effective recycling loops.
We have many examples of partnering with community organisations such as the Coromandel Independent Living Trust (CILT), Red Cross (Rotorua) and Seagull Centre in Thames to support reuse and diversion activities. For instance, we sub-contract the Coromandel Town Reuse Transfer Station operations to CILT who are successfully diverting tonnes of “refuse” into recycled and reused products.
Technology and Innovation
We operate in a constantly evolving industry, and our philosophy of continuously seeking improvements for our clients is well-known.
As a privately owned company, we have the scale, the size and the agility to innovate focusing on providing Councils with a unique and innovative model of partnership.
We were the first company to deliver a kerbside RFID solution for a Council client and we actively invest in technology such as EROAD, 3Logix (our main ERP for managing operations) and intelligent routing using sophisticated software (and a little bit of local knowledge!).
From designing tailored collection vehicles to e-logbooks and vehicle inspections on a smartphone, we are always looking to partner with our client Councils and align our digital strategies to deliver safer, more efficient and customer-centric services.
Our Digital Strategy enables us and our clients to manage contracts in real-time!
Loose Litter and Litter Bin Emptying
Loose litter is prevalent in many areas and our country’s natural beauty and the environment is diminished by carelessly tossed trash.
We empty more than 2000 litter bins on a daily basis, 365 days per year up to three times each day.
Our Council Clients
We are very proud to be delivering the following services for these communities:
- Auckland City – Kerbside Recycling Service (Area One), Kerbside Refuse Collections (Area 7)
- Buller – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collections, Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Central Hawkes Bay – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collections and Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Eastern Waikato Shared Services (Hauraki, Thames-Coromandel and Matamata Piako) – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collections, Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Grey District – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collection and Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Manawatu/Rangitikei – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collection, Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Rotorua Lakes – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collections and Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Tasman – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collections and Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Tararua – Kerbside Collections and a Refuse Transfer Station Management
- Waikato District North – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling Collections
- Wairoa District – Kerbside Refuse and Recycling and the Landfill Managment
- Hastings District – Recycling Collections
- Napier City – Recycling Collections
For more information about how we can help your communities, please contact our CEO, Todd McLeay.